A family dog managed to escape unharmed from a house which was destroyed by fire after an arson attack.
An investigation was under way today into the blaze on Limpsfield Road, Brightside, Sheffield.
The mid-terrace property went up in flames while its owners were out – but their pet dog, a Staffordshire bull terrier, managed to get out unharmed and was taken in by neighbours until its owners arrived.
Watch manager Andrew Hinchley said: “It was a really developed fire when we arrived, the crews worked their socks off to stop it spreading to the adjoining properties.”
A police spokeswoman said: “The fire is believed to have been started deliberately, and inquiries are ongoing.”
Firefighters dealt with two other house fires over the weekend – both caused by unattended candles.
The first was on Blyth Road, Firbeck, Rotherham, at 11.30pm on Saturday, when a candle was left burning in the lounge.
And at 4pm on Sunday a fire was discovered in a bedroom on Hollinsend Road, Gleadless, after candles were left burning while the occupants of the house went out.
A fire service spokesman said: “Both incidents were dealt with quickly by fire crews, but could have been much worse.
“When using candles people should never leave them burning in a room with no-one in it.”