A husband who set his wife on fire with barbecue lighter fluid, leaving her physically and psychologically scarred, has been jailed for 10 years.
Vicky Tindle heard a ‘loud whoosh’ and saw a ‘bright light’ before feeling intense heat and realising her head was on fire.
Sheffield Crown Court heard she was ‘terrified’ and ‘thought she was going to die’ after being attacked by her husband of five years at their home.
Mrs Tindle, aged 53, suffered serious burns to her back, neck, head and hands, and spent three weeks in the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield undergoing skin grafts.
Neil Coxon, prosecuting, said she was in ‘constant’ and ‘unbearable pain’, and had to take eight different medications and wear ‘pressure garments’ from her waist to her neck 24-hours-a-day to prevent scar tissue forming.
“She has to moisturise her skin hourly and may need further surgery,” he added.
The couple, both alcoholics, had each consumed a two-litre bottle of Lambrini at their home in Primrose Avenue, Darfield, Barnsley, prior to the attack on September 23 last year.
They had a row during which Mrs Tindle shouted at her 46-year-old husband and went into the kitchen.
“The next thing she recalls was feeling something cold running down the back of her head and onto her T-shirt. It smelled like barbecue fluid,” said Mr Coxon.
Mrs Tindle put her hands up to her head to pat out the flames but they started burning too, the court heard.
“I was so frightened that I wasn’t going to be able to put it out and it was just going to keep burning,” she said.
Tindle rang an ambulance and Mrs Tindle tipped three bowls of water over her head. Tindle pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodlily harm with intent.
Peter Pimm, defending, said Tindle had suffered a brain haemorhage in September 2007 which had changed his personality.
Jailing him Judge Julian Goose QC said: “It’s an extremely cruel way to cause serious injury.”