Legal action after South Yorkshire family suffers sickness on holiday

Crime:Latest news.
Crime:Latest news.
0
Have your say

A FAMILY of four are among British holidaymakers whose breaks to a luxury Egyptian hotel were ruined by illness, and who have instructed Sheffield law firm Irwin Mitchell to take action on their behalf.

Susan and Lee Fellows and their two children Daniel, 15, and Natalie, 20, all became ill, Susan just two days into their long awaited stay at the four-star Tropicana Grand Azure Hotel in Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheik in Egypt in May.

Susan, who still suffers gastric symptoms two months on, saw her GP when she returned home to Brimington in Chesterfield and it was confirmed she was suffering from salmonella poisoning.

The family, who booked their trip through First Choice, believe their illnesses were caused by poor food hygiene at the hotel. They said the restaurant was serving what appeared to be undercooked food. Some of the food also appeared reheated, the cutlery, crockery and tablecloths were dirty, and flies swarmed around communal eating areas.

Irwin Mitchell has successfully represented 10 clients with similar complaints in 2010, including a 71-year-old who suffered such severe gastroenteritis that his doctor believed it caused him to suffer a stroke while on holiday at the same hotel.

Jatinder Paul, a travel law solicitor at Irwin Mitchell, said: “Unfortunately this is not the first time we have represented holidaymakers staying at this hotel.

“We are very concerned about the seriousness of illnesses suffered by a number of our clients who went on holiday to the Tropicana Grand Azure. We hope First Choice will work with us quickly and amicably to ensure justice is done and to resolve this case for our clients.”

Susan Fellows said: “This was the worst holiday of our lives. As well as the problems with food the pool areas and public toilets were filthy.

“We were hoping for a relaxing family trip but it was just the complete opposite. It was horrible to see my family feeling so unwell when we should have been enjoying ourselves. I’m still suffering from my illness even now and I was horrified when the doctor told me it was down to salmonella poisoning.”