A South Yorkshire landlord has been fined over £13,000 for failing to maintain a block of flats.
Mohammed Tariq was prosecuted after officers from Rotherham Borough Council found one of his rented properties in Kilnhurst, Rotherham, was in a poor state of disrepair.
Environmental health officers visited the Victoria Street house which had been converted into flats in December 2013, after a tenant complained she did not have access to hot water or central heating as Tariq had disconnected the boiler.
The officers found a number of failures including no working fire detectors or firefighting equipment, failing to maintain the gas and electrical systems, and allowing severe damp and black mould to develop.
The tenants were all re-housed by the council as there was an imminent risk of harm to the health of the people living there.
Tariq, of Gerard Road, Rotherham, pleaded guilty to a number of offences relating to housing standards.
The magistrates imposed fines totalling £13,500 and ordered Tariq to pay Rotherham Borough Council’s costs of £950, with a victim surcharge of £120.