DCSIMG

Inquest opened after boy, nine, tragically choked to death

editorial image

editorial image

A nine-year-old Sheffield boy has died after choking while eating.

Abdur-Raheem Mahmood, from Sharrow, was at his uncle’s home in Millhouses when he began choking, it is believed on a chicken sandwich.

Tragically he died despite attempts to resuscitate him on Monday evening.

An inquest has been opened and adjourned. A coroner’s spokesman said: “He was at his uncle’s address in Silverdale Road when he started to appear to choke.

“He was taken to Sheffield Children’s Hospital where, despite resuscitation attempts, he was confirmed dead at 8.32pm on May 26.”

The funeral is believed to have taken place yesterday.

One reader posting online said: “I happened to be at the hospital when the child was brought in. I send love and strength to the family.”

The inquest was opened and adjourned on Tuesday.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page