THE best friend of a Chesterfield woman who died after she was overcome by fumes on a camping trip has spoken of her loss.
Kelly Dolphin, aged 32, said the death of 34-year-old Tracy Screen was like losing a sister after describing her as being ‘like family’.
Tracy was on a camping trip with her husband Benjamin and their seven-year-old son Logan and four-year-old daughter Elodie when tragedy struck.
They were sleeping in their tent on a campsite in Gyrn Goch, near Caernarfon, North Wales, when Tracy was apparently overcome by fumes from a barbecue they lit to help them keep warm.
Paramedics and police were called to their tent at 9.30am on Monday and Tracy was pronounced dead at the scene. Her husband and children were rushed to hospital for treatment.
The family had only arrived for their summer holiday two days earlier.
Heartbroken Kelly said the tragic mum had been just weeks away from celebrating her wedding anniversary before her shock death.
She said Tracy was ‘loved by everyone’.
Tracy, the godmother of Kelly’s four-year-old son Liam, used to live next door to the family, on Avenue Road, Chesterfield, before she moved to Newbold about six months ago.
“Tracy was like family to us – I feel like I’ve lost a sister,” she said.
“She was such a valuable friend. She loved my boys, she loved them like they were her own.”
Kelly described Tracy as ‘outgoing, bubbly and a great laugh’ and said she enjoyed spending time with friends and family.
“She was loved by everyone. She had so many friends. I found out she’d died on Monday, her sister phoned me, and I just went white. Even now I can’t believe it.
“I’ll miss everything about her.”
Kelly said Tracy and husband Benjamin were due to celebrate their wedding anniversary in September.
“They were a doting, devoted couple who lived for each other and adored their kids,” she added.
Another friend and neighbour, Maxine Else, said she had been to Tracy’s hen night and wedding.
“She was a very bubbly girl, I loved her,” she said.
“I’m devastated, it has not sunk in properly yet. It’s frightening, it’s horrible.”
An investigation into the death is underway but it is not being treated as suspicious.