Husband in tribute to tent tragedy wife

editorial image
0
Have your say

THIS is the tragic young mum from Chesterfield - described by her husband as a “loving and caring wife” - who died on a family camping holiday in Wales.

Tracy Screen, aged 34, was staying in a tent on a campsite in Gyrn Goch, Caernarfon, North Wales, when she was apparently overcome by fumes as she slept.

She was on a summer holiday with her husband Benjamin and their four-year-old-daughter and seven-year-old son. The couple lived until around six months ago on Avenue Road in Chesterfield.

Paying tribute to his beloved wife, heartbroken Benjamin said she was “a wonderful mother to two amazing children who have got to come to terms with this horrible, horrific accident”.

He added: “She was a friend to many people and will be deeply missed by all.

“We ask that the family could have time to grieve and to come to terms with the loss of someone so special.”

Former neighbours on Avenue Road have spoken of their shock at Tracy’s death.

The police investigation is concentrating on a barbecue found near the family’s tent on the morning Tracy was found dead, on Monday.

It is thought the family may have lit the barbecue and pulled it close to their tent for warmth, and that fumes from the fuel they were burning may have drifted into the tent. Benjamin and the children were also treated in hospital for possible ill effects.

Police are not treating Tracy’s death as suspicious.

Sergeant David Hughes, from North Wales Police, said: “It’s obviously been quite distressing for everyone involved, not least the campsite owners and fellow holidaymakers. Part of our duties are to reassure these people who are naturally quite upset at what has taken place.”

Enquiries are being carried out ahead of a full inquest into the tragedy.

Area councillor Owain Williams said: “It’s a great shock, and something you don’t expect to happen in this tight-knit community. I know the family who run the park well, and they always run it to a very high standard.”

A spokesman for the campsite said: “Everyone is just in shock, we are devastated.”