POLICE are hunting for a city centre sex attacker today after a woman in her 30s was subjected to a serious sexual assault.
The woman was attacked on Carver Lane, a side street linking West Street and Division Street, in the early hours of yesterday.
Shocked workers at nearby shops and businesses were unable to use the road, which was taped off yesterday for several hours from 6am, with police officers guarding each end.
A city centre councillor today requested an increased police presence in the area following the incident, which he described as ‘frightening’.
Sheffield Central councillor Mohammed Maroof told The Star: “I have asked for more police presence in the area.
“I am quite surprised myself that in a busy area like this, something can happen. It is a frightening situation.
“But mostly I have been assured the police will do everything they can to make sure local people are safe - and residents are absolutely assured there will be more of a police presence.”
A South Yorkshire Police spokesman told The Star: “Police are investigating an allegation of serious sexual assault, that occurred in the early hours of Wednesday at a location near West Street in Sheffield city centre.
“The investigation is in its early stages, and officers are currently making inquiries.”
Workers at shops near Carver Lane said they were worried.
Nabeel Asker, aged 30, who owns Carousel News on Division Street, said: “It’s quite a shock to hear of this.
Becky Wheatley, 19, who works at the Perfect Kitchen sandwich shop next to the side street, said lots of customers had been asking what was going on.
She said: “It’s awful to think that it happened just around the corner.
“Everyone has been coming in and asking us what’s happened.”
A young female student, who did not want to be named, added: “It’s such a shock to think that happened. I thought Sheffield was such a safe place as well.
“I can’t believe it.”