A surgical instruments factory in Sheffield has been badly damaged in a fire which broke out in an acid bath.
The blaze started at Symmetry Medical, on Beulah Road, Owlerton, at 11pm last night, and was tackled by 50 firefighters over four hours.
The operation was made difficult because of the number of acids in the burning building, which are used to sterilise instruments made there.
The acid bath building has been destroyed and the roof has collapsed. A further building was damaged but firefighters managed to save the rest of the site by spraying jets of water on surrounding areas.
South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the cause of the blaze is believed to be accidental.
Full story see Monday’s Star.
■ A family escaped unharmed after fire broke out in an attic bedroom at their South Yorkshire home.
Firefighters spent around three hours tackling the blaze and making the building safe.
The fire, on Bank Street, Stairfoot, broke out at about 5.30am this morning. A couple and their children were at home but able to evacuate.