House in Barnsley goes up in flames after barbecue

editorial image
0
Have your say

A house in Barnsley caught fire last night after a barbecue.

Firefighters called to the blaze on Chaloner Heights, Blacker Hill, discovered that it started after a barbecue was lit on some decking.

The flames then spread to the porch and utility area of the detached house.

The garage of the house next door was also damaged.

Four fire engines responded to 999 calls about the fire at 9.30pm last night.

Nobody was injured.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: “Make sure your barbecue is well away from sheds, fences, trees and shrubs.

“Keep a bucket of water and/or a hose pipe nearby in case of emergencies.

“Never use petrol or paraffin on your barbecue. Use only recognised lighters or starter fuel on cold coals in moderation.

“Keep children and pets well away from the cooking area.

“Never leave the barbecue unattended.

“Never put ashes straight into a dustbin or wheelie bin. If they’re hot they could melt the plastic and cause a fire.”