House blaze closes street

0
Have your say

A HOUSE in Sheffield was badly damaged by a fire which started in a bedroom.

Fire crews were called to the semi-detached property in Robin Lane, Beighton, at 2.30pm on Monday after the owner discovered the blaze.

Three appliances were sent to the scene and firefighters who entered the building managed to stop the blaze spreading through the roof space into the adjoining property.

Eyewitnesses said at one stage flames were shooting through a broken upstairs window and smoke billowing from the roof. Police closed Robin Lane for several hours and buses were diverted.

No one was injured.

A fire service spokesman said “There was a fire in a first floor bedroom. We sent three crews and an aerial ladder platform to the scene after being alerted at 2.36pm.

“They had to remove some of the ceiling to check the fire hadn’t spread into the roof, which it hadn’t. An investigation has been launched.”