Hoarder’s home goes up in flames as OAP is inside

A fire at a house in Silkstone

A fire at a house in Silkstone

0
Have your say

Firefighters called to a blaze in Silkstone had a battle on their hands to extinguish the flames because of the amount of clutter inside.

Crews called to the fire in Silkstone, Barnsley, had difficulty moving around the farm house because of all the belongings stored inside the property.

A fire at a house in Silkstone

A fire at a house in Silkstone

They had to remove some of the items for firefighters to walk from room to room and to reduce the amount of material at risk of going up in flames.

Firefighters believe the blaze started when a piece of coal fell out of an open fire.

They suspect is set fire to some nearby bedding.

A woman in her 70s, who lives in the house, managed to get out and was taken to hospital for treatment for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

A fire at a house in Silkstone

A fire at a house in Silkstone

Watch manager Neil McQuillan, of Cudworth fire station, said: “The woman who lives there has a lot of belongings and tended to live in one room, which is where the fire started.

“She is a hoarder so wee had to remove a lot of the items stored there to be able to get around the house.

“Two rooms were fire damaged and the rest of the house was smoke damaged.”

Fire chiefs have used the blaze, which broke out on Thursday morning, to issue a safety warning about open fires.

A fire service spokesman said: “With the colder weather, people will begin to start using open fires and their chimneys again.

“In order to keep you and your family safe from fire, you need to take necessary steps such as ensuring your chimney is swept regularly and using a fire guard.

“Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home.

“Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers, make sure embers are properly put out before you go to bed and keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained.”

Crews from Barnsley, Penistone, Cudworth and Elm Lane stations dealt with the incident at the height of the blaze.

Back to the top of the page