History must move aside

0
Have your say

SHOULD history stand in the way of progress or is there a way of enabling it to stand side by side with the future.

That is the conundrum facing Sheffield University as it seeks to win over popular support for its £80m engineering block.

Standing in its way is part of the former Jessop Hospital - the Edwardian facade of which is grade II listed.

The university argues that the building is the poorest remnant of the hospital - the Victorian facade is integrated into the complex already.

It has little emotional attachment with the city as, unlinke its Victorian sister building, it was not part of the maternity unit in which babies were actually born.

And unless the university is allowed to demolish it, the plans to invest in the new engineering block will see costs soar and become prohibitive.

But in its way is the Victorian Society and Hallamshire Historic Buildings Society who argue that the building should stay.

The city council must weigh up both arguments. The university’s argument that it already has 40 listed buildings in its property portfolio should carry little weight - it cannot pick and choose which it keeps just because it has many.

But what should carry weight is the future prosperity such an investment will bring to the city. And on this occasion, history should give way.

Such good advice may save a life

ONE careless moment can be so costly when it comes to fire safety so it pays to be vigilant at all times.

This is a lesson the fire service continually promotes, but its message sometimes sadly gets forgotten.

Something as simple as leaving your grill unattended even for only a few moments can cause so much damage.

Just ask Emily McGeoch, who left plastic chopping boards on top of a grill.

She was left with a big clean-up job but at least it was nothing more serious. Emily says the incident has made her think more carefully and is backing South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Kitchen Nightmares campaign.

Nobody wants an incident like this, but it happens so easily it’s important to learn the lesson because there were more than 300 cooking-related fires last year.

Remember Emily’s experience and the campaign advice: keep electrical leads and fabrics away from the hob, never use a chip pan, keep an eye on cooking at all times and switch off cooking appliances after cooking and before going to bed.