SECRET police and government documents relating to the Hillsborough disaster are to be released to the families of victims in September.
The Hillsborough Independent Panel, which has examined thousands of papers, has announced it will release them to the families of the 96 who died on September 12.
The Liverpool fans died after a crush on overcrowded terraces at Sheffield Wednesday’s football ground on April 15, 1989.
An inquiry found the main cause was a failure in crowd control by South Yorkshire Police.
In a statement announcing the release date, the panel said it hoped the announcements would ‘give the bereaved families sufficient time to prepare for the disclosure’.
South Yorkshire Police said it welcomed the announcement.
A spokesman said; “In an effort to achieve open and transparent disclosure of all Hillsborough documents, South Yorkshire Police suggested in early 2009 that the Hillsborough archive be created.
“Since then, the force has worked closely with the panel to ensure the disclosure of documents into the public domain is achieved in the clearest possible way.”