Shocked readers have spoken of their horror after a dog was scalded with boiling water and dumped in a canal.
Staffordshire bull terrier Colin was left in ‘burning agony’ with the skin and fur on his back completely removed – one of the worst cases of cruelty ever seen by staff at Rain Rescue animal charity.
He was dumped by the canal at Holmes, Rotherham.
Readers saaid pictures of Colin were ‘heartbreaking’.
Valerie Meare said: “I cringe whenever I hear someone say we are a nation of animal lovers. This poor dog and others prove we are not.”
Jo Bennett said: “I was the vet nurse that first witnessed this poor dog – it broke my heart.”
One reader said: “If all dogs were microchipped the owner of this poor dog could be found.
“A jail sentence and lifetime ban from keeping animals should be handed out.”