Video: Sheffield’s Jerome Wilson defends boxing

Have your say

A boxer left fighting for life after being knocked unconscious in the ring does not want his accident to reflect badly on his beloved sport.

Jerome Wilson, aged 29, suffered a serious bleed to the brain in a fight against Serge Ambomo last month – with his family told to ‘prepare for the worst’.

Injured boxer Jerome Wilson, who is in hospital at the Royal Hallamshire.

Injured boxer Jerome Wilson, who is in hospital at the Royal Hallamshire.

But the professional boxer fought back from the brink of death and is now walking and talking again and due to begin a three month rehabilitation programme.

The dad-of-one, whose partner is due to give birth in March, started boxing as a teenager and said he ‘fell in love’ with the sport on his first ever visit to a gym.

He said he does not want others to use his accident to fuel the debate about the safety of the sport.

“Walking across the road can be dangerous,” he said.

“I was looking around the ward and there were a lot of people who had sustained a lot of injuries that happened in the home – slipping in the bath, falling down the stairs. They had not been involved in boxing contests.

Today’s other top stories:

Inspirational Sheffield boy loses brave fight for life aged 7 click link

Charity’s £580,000 helipad appeal takes off at Sheffield hospital click link

Video - Have your say on the future of your Star click link

Clothing left near heater most likely cause of fire which killed a Sheffield man click link

Arson blamed for another blaze at city’s ski village click link

Crunch talks at troubled Sheffield school after pupil attacked

“There is danger in anything but providing that you prepare yourself correctly for what it is you choose to do ultimately that pays massive dividends.”

Jerome, who is also a personal trainer, said his boxing has helped his speedy recovery – with his physical and mental fitness instrumental in his fight back.

He hopes to continue working in the sport when he is allowed back to his home in Arbourthorne, after being told that he should never fight again.

The boxer had part of his skull removed in he operation on the night of the fight.

Surgeons wanted to give his swollen brain space to expand.

They also placed him in an induced coma to give his brain time to recover.

He has occasional double vision but hopes to make a full recovery.