South Yorkshire pet owners are being warned of the dangers posed to man’s best friend over the festive period and urged to keep their much- loved pets safe.
The Kennel Club says during the Christmas period lots of items are brought into the home which can be harmful to dogs.
Foods which are harmful to dogs include chocolate, raisins, grapes, currants, sultanas, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, fruit cake, mince pies, stollen, macadamia nuts, blue cheese and allium species including onions, garlic, leeks, shallots and chives.
Mouldy foods, very rich, fatty foods and alcohol can also harm dogs so should be avoided.
Turkey, goose and chicken bones can easily splinter, particularly when cooked, and can cause obstruction and gut irritation and can penetrate the stomach or intestinal wall.
Nick Sutton, Kennel Club health information officer and former veterinary toxicologist, said: “There is no reason dogs can’t enjoy Christmas with their families just as much as their owners do, however, we would recommend being cautious and keeping anything that may pose a risk to your beloved family pet in a safe place and out of sight and smell of your dog.”