Paramedics save boy, 10, who had heart attack at South Yorkshire school

Ten-year-old Koby Hodder, who suffered a heart attack at Bentley High Street Primary School.
Ten-year-old Koby Hodder, who suffered a heart attack at Bentley High Street Primary School.
0
Have your say

A relieved South Yorkshire mum today thanked paramedics who gave her 10-year-old son life-saving treatment after he suffered a heart attack at school.

Koby Hodder, a pupil at Bentley High Street Primary School, collapsed in the playground.

Paramedics Lee Murphy, Martin Parkinson and Emergency Care Assistant Freddie Stevens, from Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust, gave Koby two shocks with a defibrillator.

He was then taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary and later transferred to Leeds General Infirmary Paediatric Intensive Care Unit.

Mum Joanne Hodder said: “I cannot thank each and every person who played a part in saving Koby’s life and helped with his recovery enough.

“Teachers, paramedics, hospital staff and Embrace Children’s Transport Service have all been amazing.

“As a parent it is your worst nightmare to receive a phone call like I did from school when you sent your healthy 10-year-old child to school that morning fit and well.”

Koby has since made a full recovery and returned to school this month following the incident on March 2.

Joanne said: “He’s had a fantastic recovery which is all down to the fast response from the school staff and the paramedics.

“He’s doing better than we could have ever imagined after having two cardiac arrests, one of which was at school.”

The school had had a defibrillator installed and staff were due to have training on CPR and use of the defibrillator the week Koby collapsed.

Lee and Freddie have also returned to the school to talk to staff and representatives from the charity Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome UK have given training.

Deputy headteacher Rebecca Austwick said: “Everyone involved in saving Koby deserves great praise, including the staff involved in the initial first aid care at school.

“Recognising a child is not breathing and responding requires great strength and we now have so much more respect for the work of all paramedics who deal with this on a daily basis. They do an incredible job.

“Thankfully all staff were trained at school and could administer CPR effectively. I am so proud of all the staff for their quick response.

“The support from the ambulance service was incredible and continued after the incident with daily contact from Lee.

“I strongly urge all schools to ensure that all staff are trained in first aid, not just key members of staff.”

Koby and his family will be invited to meet the ambulance staff later this year, who will be presented with a Locality Director Commendation for their life-saving actions.