Painkillers led to liver failure for Sheffield woman

NEWS: News.
NEWS: News.
0
Have your say

A woman planning her dream wedding died after being given a paracetamol overdose by doctors, her inquest heard.

Hayley Parsonage was given the drug at Sheffield’s Northern General Hospital after staff initially diagnosed her as suffering from a gall-bladder infection.

However, a problem with her liver meant her body was unable to deal with the toxins produced by the drug, causing the organ to fail.

Pathologist Dr Julian Buxton told the inquest at Sheffield’s coroners’ court yesterday Miss Parsonage had died of liver failure due to a paracetamol overdose.

The 26-year-old servcie adviser, who had sacral agenesis, a condition which affected her height and caused a loss of sensation below the knees, began feeling ill at work at Santander in Sheffield.

After her symptoms worsened during the following days, her fiancé Stephen Murphy called an ambulance.

Staff at the Northern General in Fir Vale diagnosed her as suffering from a water infection and discharged her that afternoon, prescribing paracetamol.

After initial improvement, she deteriorated and was rushed back, where she was diagnosed as having a gall-bladder infection.

Mr Murphy told the inquest: “They said she had an inflamed gall bladder and with a couple of days rest she would be ok.”

However, the next day doctors said Miss Parsonage had suffered liver failure and only had a 20 per cent chance of survival.

She was taken to a liver unit in Leeds, where she died on March 30 last year.

Miss Parsonage and Mr Murphy had been planning their dream wedding day after getting engaged on Valentine’s Day – just six weeks before Miss Parsonage died.

The inquest continues.