BOSSES at Chesterfield Royal Hospital say a ban on visitors is starting to pay off as the norovirus outbreak that has plagued the hospital is brought under control.
Hospital managers last week introduced a measure barring patients on adult wards receiving visitors, in a bid to stop the spread of the contagious vomiting bug.
The ban is to continue on adult wards until tomorrow, when senior staff will hold a review to decide whether to lift the measure.
Chief nurse Alfonzo Tramontano said: “We understand how difficult this has been for patients and relatives and thank them and the community for their patience and understanding.
“We are beginning to break the cycle of this illness and hope to open to visitors again as soon as we can.”
Four hospital wards are now affected by the bug, down from eight last Monday, when the ban was introduced.
A hospital trust spokesman said: “The trust continues to keep its website and social networks updated with the latest news and developments.
“In the past few weeks, thousands of people have used the information videos on You Tube to find out more about norovirus and the decision to close to visitors. The hospital’s channel can be found at www.youtube.com/thechesterfieldroyal.”
There is no specific cure for norovirus. Although unpleasant and contagious, it is not usually dangerous and most people recover within 48 hours.