News In Brief: Sheltered housing resident’s good neighbour award

News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
0
Have your say

A CARING sheltered housing resident has won a top award for being a good neighbour.

Peter Allen, of Wesley Court in Rotherham, does everything from arranging parties to helping people in their home.

He has scooped the Good Neighbour award from Guinness Care and Support which runs Wesley Court.

The 64-year-old said: “I feel a bit embarrassed to be honest, I’ve told them they’ll have to make the doorways bigger for me to get my head through!”

Peter gives other residents lifts to doctor and hospital appointments and helps people get out and about when the weather is bad.

He said: “I’ve always enjoyed being neighbourly but this scheme really encourages it.

“Everyone knows each other and there’s a really friendly atmosphere.

“In this day and age neighbours often don’t know each other which I think it is a terrible shame.

“A lot of people don’t have family nearby and we are like one family really.”

Peter won one of six Guinness Care and Support STAR awards designed to recognise kind-hearted people who are doing good work in their local communities.

Roads closed

a CONVOY of travellers’ caravans led to the closure of roads in and around Darnall in Sheffield, when they pulled up looking for somewhere to pitch up for the night.

The vans arrived on Coleridge Road on Wednesday night. Police were called, and found a procession of around 15 caravans parked up.

Officers were unable to find the travellers anywhere suitable in the Darnall, Attercliffe or Meadowhall areas and the caravans moved on.

Shop fire damage

A SHOP suffered damage to its drainpipes, guttering and fascia boards after a Chevrolet parked outside went up in flames in a blaze started accidentally on Library Close, Wingfield, Rotherham, at 4am yesterday.

Smoke drama

A DEEP fat fryer left on while the occupants were out filled a property with smoke on Mont Walk, Wombwell, Barnsley.

Neighbours heard the smoke alarm sounding at 6.30pm on Thursday and dialled 999.