Health advice for new students

Clinical Director Dr Zak McMurray
Clinical Director Dr Zak McMurray
Have your say

Health chiefs are urging new students at Sheffield’s universities not to make unnecessary visits to casualty if they feel unwell.

The NHS Sheffield Clinical Commissioning Group says students who have moved to the city should instead register with a local GP or call the new 111 helpline for medical advice.

Dr Zak McMurray, GP and joint clinical director at the commissioning group, said: “There are a whole range of NHS services available in Sheffield – it doesn’t need to be accident and emergency.

“There are many alternatives available for less serious conditions and injuries and we urge students to use them.

“Of course, if it is a serious or life-threatening emergency, dial 999 or go to the A&E at Northern General Hospital for over-16s, and Sheffield Children’s Hospital for under-16s.”

The minor injuries unit at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital provides treatment for adults with less serious injuries such as sprains, cuts and grazes, while the GP walk-in centre on Broad Lane allows unregistered patients to see a doctor or nurse free of charge.

n For details about the city’s health services, see