Goodbye to Sheffield scientist

Brian Jones
Brian Jones
Have your say

A well-known retired Sheffield clinical scientist who travelled the world to share his research has died just days from his 80th birthday.

Dr Brian Jones, from Bradway, was a principal clinical scientist at Sheffield University Medical School, and also published studies on sexual health conditions and common illnesses among women.

The academic specialised in bacteriology and microbiology, earning an international reputation in his field.

Friend Prof George Kinghorn said Dr Jones, who died in the Royal Hallamshire Hospital after a stroke, was ‘much-liked and highly respected’, and that his work was ‘beneficial to the health and wellbeing of many patients’.

The doctor was born in Mexborough and attended the town’s grammar school.

On leaving school, he gained his first job in the pathology lab at the then City General Hospital in Sheffield, taking evening classes after work to gain extra qualifications.

He served in the medical corps during National Service then returned to work in medical laboratory sciences.

Aged 29, Dr Jones was appointed senior chief in the medical microbiology department at Sheffield University, and later collaborated with hospital consultants on research projects, developing a special interest in sexual health conditions.

He was awarded a PhD for his work on women’s illnesses, and retired from the medical school in the mid-1990s.

“He will be much-missed and long remembered,” said Prof Kinghorn, clinical director of the South Yorkshire Comprehensive Local Research Network.

A lifelong Blades fan, Dr Jones was also a keen organist and a member of the Sheffield Philharmonic Chorus for more than 50 years. In 1984 he became a freemason, joining King Ecgbert lodge at Dore Masonic Hall.

He is survived by sisters Dorothy and Rita, and brother Alan.

He had three daughters with his first wife, three stepchildren with his second wife, Dawn, and 13 grandchildren.

A funeral service was held at St Swithin’s Church, Holmesfield, followed by committal at Hutcliffe Wood.