Dad ‘could have lived’ claim after Rotherham inquest

0
Have your say

A hospital has been criticised by a coroner after a father-of-three collapsed and later died after he was discharged from hospital.

Mark Burton, aged 24, went to Rotherham District General’s A&E department with chest and abdominal pains. He was discharged but collapsed from heart failure one hour later.

An inquest into the death heard that extensive heart abnormalities were not fully documented by a senior house officer and a casualty doctor only ‘glanced’ at the notes before discharging Mr Burton.

The inquest heard the A&E department had been ‘very busy’ at the time.

Coroner Nicola Mundy said Mr Burton would have been saved had he been admitted to Rotherham General Hospital.

Recording a narrative verdict, she said: “He would not have died at the time he did had he received prompt resuscitation in a hospital setting.”

Consultant cardiologist Dr John Caplin told an inquest Mr Burton, of Swinton, Rotherham, should have been kept in hospital for observation following the ECG results.

He said an ECG should have been a ‘red flag warning something was going to happen’.

But Mr Burton was allowed home and collapsed.

He was re-admitted to hospital and revived by doctors but suffered complications and died the next day.

Dr Caplin said it was ‘highly likely’ he would have survived if he had been in hospital when he collapsed.

Mr Burton had been suffering chest pains for about three weeks when he went to the hospital in the early hours of Friday, July 6, last year.

A Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust spokesman said: “A thorough investigation took place following the death of Mr Burton and recommendations made following this investigation have been implemented at Rotherham Hospital.

“The trust is committed to learning from experience, feedback and incidents and continues to work extremely hard to provide the very best of care and treatment for all of our patients so we can further improve.”