Charity day after Sheffield toddler’s meningitis ordeal

Teddy Harrison from Ecclesfield who has recovered fully after contacting meningococcal meningitis in june this year with mum Tiffany Picture Dean Atkins
Teddy Harrison from Ecclesfield who has recovered fully after contacting meningococcal meningitis in june this year with mum Tiffany Picture Dean Atkins
0
Have your say

A shocked mum who was just hours away from losing her baby boy to meningitis has said: “You never expect it to happen to your own child.”

Tiffany Harrison was terrified when 15-month-old Teddy broke out in a rash and she was unable to wake him.

Teddy Harrison from Ecclesfield who has recovered fully after contacting meningococcal meningitis in june this year'Picture Dean Atkins

Teddy Harrison from Ecclesfield who has recovered fully after contacting meningococcal meningitis in june this year'Picture Dean Atkins

Brave Teddy spent almost a week fighting for his life in Sheffield Children’s Hospital after tests revealed he had meningococcal meningitis and septicaemia.

Tiffany, aged 27, said she took Teddy to A&E one afternoon in June and doctors originally thought he was suffering from a viral infection. He was sent home with painkillers but just a few hours later his condition took a turn for the worse.

Tiffany, from Ecclesfield, said: “We got home around 7.30pm and he went straight to sleep. At around midnight I tried to wake him, but couldn’t.

“I rang 111 and they said I should take him straight back to hospital.

“Within an hour he was in intensive care.

“He had spots that had been developing and by the time we got back to the hospital they were black.

“I was in shock. You never expect it to happen to your own child.”

Teddy was put in an induced coma while doctors battled to lower his heart rate and blood pressure.

But when they tried to bring him round, he did not wake up on his own.

Tiffany said: “We thought things were getting better, but then we went backwards again.

“He went for an MRI scan and a few days later he was able to go on to a ward.”

After almost a week, Teddy was discharged and able to recover at home with mum, dad Carl, 31, and six-year-old brother Bobby.

Meningitis is an infection of the protective membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord. This infection causes these membranes, the meninges, to become inflamed, which in some cases can damage the nerves and brain.

Thankfully in Teddy’s case, recent tests have shown his ordeal has not left him with any long-term developmental issues.

Now, Tiffany wants to give something back to the hospital that saved Teddy’s life and she is arranging a family fun day to raise money for both the Sheffield Children’s Hospital Charity and Meningitis Now.

Tiffany said: “The second time we went to the hospital, the staff were absolutely fantastic and if it wasn’t for them then Teddy wouldn’t be here. They said if we had stayed at home for another couple of hours it could have been a whole different story.”

The family fun day will take place at The Square, opposite The Stocks pub, in Ecclesfield, next Monday, August 31 from 1pm.