Asbestos clues appeal

Have your say

The daughter of a former sweet factory worker who died after being exposed to asbestos is appealing for information to find out how her mum came into contact with the deadly dust.

Linda Hunt died aged 66 last December from mesothelioma, an asbestos-related cancer.

She started working at the Trebor confectionery factory in Chesterfield after leaving school, but little is known about the working conditions in the building and whether asbestos was present.

Then, when Linda was around 20, she moved to the Model Village in Creswell, where she mainly lived until 1992.

It is believed that kitchens and bathrooms at the village, which were installed in the early 1970s and replaced in 2001, could have contained asbestos.

Linda’s daughter Joanne said she wanted ex-colleagues and neighbours to come forward to help piece together information about her mother’s workplace and refurbishments at her home.

“My mother was hard working, and always looking out for others. She became very ill so quickly,” she said.

“She only found out that it could be asbestos-related shortly before she died and wasn’t strong enough to help figure out where she had been exposed.

“Hopefully people will be able to help us.”

An inquest into Linda’s death has been adjourned to give her family more time to find out how she could have been exposed to asbestos.

Simone Hardy, from law firm Irwin Mitchell, said: “Asbestos-related diseases can take decades to fully develop.

“This can make it difficult to pinpoint exactly how and where people were exposed, although often it is via their place of work or property refurbishments.”

n Anyone with information should email or call 0114 274 4420.

n See Page 3 of Style