Girl, seven, starts fire playing with matches

News: The Star - bringing you news on-line 24-hours a day.
News: The Star - bringing you news on-line 24-hours a day.
0
Have your say

A FIRE broke out in a child’s bedroom after she set fire to a cuddly toy while playing with matches.

The seven-year-old girl sneaked the matches into her room, on James Street, Worsbrough Dale, Barnsley, while the rest of the family were elsewhere in the house.

A smoke alarm alerted the family to the fire, which spread to a small area of carpet but was quickly put out.

Firefighters were called after a neighbour heard the alarm and spotted smoke coming out of a window.

Crews checked the room and spoke to the girl about the dangers of playing with fire.

Watch manager Jim White, of Barnsley fire station, said: “The little girls was playing with her cuddly toys in her bedroom, when, unbeknown to her mum, she got her hands on some matches and set one of the toys alight.

“The family was fortunate because the smoke alarm started sounding and drew attention to the fire, which they managed to put out.

“We spoke to the girl involved about the dangerous of playing with matches.”

He said adults should keep matches and lighters away from children.