A CHILD aged just 13 was among five people being quizzed by police last night about the murder of a man whose partially-buried body was found near a Doncaster-area farm.
The five suspects were arrested in the Doncaster area on Monday night, by Nottinghamshire Police with the co-operation of South Yorkshire Police.
Yesterday Nottinghamshire Police confirmed they have launched a murder investigation following the discovery of the body of a man aged around 50 at farmland in Everton, a couple of miles from Bawtry.
The body was discovered in Middle Cross Lane, between Harwell Sluice Lane and Everton Lane, after a member of the public spotted something suspicious on Saturday afternoon.
So far the body has not been identified.
The mystery is baffling residents of Everton, who are unaware of anyone local having disappeared.
They suggest the alleged murder may have been committed elsewhere and the body hidden on the isolated farm track.
One Everton resident, pensioner Alan Berry, said: “It could be somebody from anywhere.
“It sounds to me like the murder has been committed elsewhere.
“That lane is really only used by dog walkers, but you occasionally see strangers down there.
“You might see a mysterious van parked there and you never know what it’s up to.”
Charlotte Carter, who runs the Cici beauty salon in Everton, said none of her customers knew anything about the man’s identity.
“Nobody even knew if the body was male or female,” she said. “The police have kept a very tight lid on this. All we know is the body was found by someone walking their dog, but I don’t know who.”
A cordon around the shallow grave remained in place yesterday as forensic examinations continued.
Inquiries are underway to identify the victim and trace next of kin.
A post-mortem examination has been carried out and so far the cause of death is inconclusive.
Police have not disclosed how long the body had been in the ground.
Five people have been arrested - a 47-year-old woman, three men aged 31, 27 and 21, and a 13-year-old girl - and all remain in custody.
Detective Chief Inspector Phil Cox, who is leading the investigation, said: “Although we have made five arrests detectives are continuing to make inquiries in the area.
“We are keen to speak to anyone who might have seen something unusual in the area, particularly between Friday, February 1, and the afternoon of Saturday, February 2.”
Anyone with information is urged to call the incident room on 101 ext 817 1520 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.