fire chiefs in South Yorkshire are giving away electrical items in a prize draw – to switch people on to the dangers of electrical fires.
South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue is giving away gadgets to people who visit the service’s Facebook page, where safety advice is available.
Those who visit the page can enter a prize draw for items including headphones and an HD webcam, donated by Maplin Electronics, Wath.
Fire chiefs are keen to warn residents of the dangers of overloading sockets, using extension cables, and leaving electrical items on overnight.
Diane Malpass, service head of community safety, said: “Fire safety isn’t even present in the minds of most people. That’s why we’ve got to try something different to get people to switch on to potential dangers at home.”
n Visit facebook.com/southyorkshirefire to enter the draw.