Fugitive finally sent to prison

editorial image
0
Have your say

A FUGITIVE has finally been jailed for his role in an incident which saw a man stabbed with a pair of scissors three years ago on a Doncaster street.

Dana Baqe, of Ellerker Avenue, Hexthorpe, was arrested for an attack on a man on his own street in July 2008 but later went on the run.

The 36-year-old was one of two men charged with assault, along with Rebwar Faraj, from the same street.

Both were from Iraq, as was the victim of the attack.

Their victim suffered a puncture wound from the scissors and cut to the side of his face.

They were both found guilty after a five day trial. Both had been granted bail by Doncaster Crown Court - but Baqe failed to turn up on the day he was due to be sentenced, and went on the run.

Police believed he’d fled the country although his details were issued to all the ports and airports.

But last month, police received new information suggesting that Baqe was back in the country.

A squad of six officers was sent to an address in Cantley where he was believed to be living.

Baqe was arrested and remanded in custody until he appeared at Doncaster Crown Court on May 26 where he was jailed for four years for the attack.

It is understood he had been living in the country legally at the time of the incident.

Today police said the courts had applied for him to deported at the end of his sentence.

Officers said they were delighted to have finally caught Baqe - three years after he went on the run.

Sgt Geordie Mackell from Doncaster’s Tactical Tasking Team, said: “This is a clear example highlighting that even by fleeing the country and returning years later, previous crimes committed are not forgotten about.

“South Yorkshire Police will always proactively seek to find criminals and ensure they are dealt with appropriately for the crimes they commit.”