Four women tell of sex attack terror

News: Sheffield Telegraph online 24-hours a day.
News: Sheffield Telegraph online 24-hours a day.
Have your say

A WOMAN was dragged to the ground and raped at knifepoint as she walked her dog on playing fields in Wincobank, Sheffield.

She was set upon from behind by 48-year-old Czech national Kajus Scuka, when he embarked on a spree of sex attacks in the city between 2010 and 2011, a jury heard.

Scuka is accused of four attacks within a two-mile radius of Meadowhall.

Michael Smith, prosecuting at Sheffield Crown Court, said: “Between March 2010 and May 2011, police in South Yorkshire investigated four sexual attacks on lone females, all of them within about two miles of Meadowhall shopping centre.

“The four victims didn’t know who their attacker was and initially the police had very little to go on.

“After the last attack in May 2011 police arrested Scuka and, piece by piece, they managed to build up a picture, which the prosecution say leads to the inevitable conclusion the attacks on each occasion led to this defendant.”

The first victim, a 51-year-old grandmother, was attacked when she stopped to give her two-and-a-half year old granddaughter a biscuit on Newman Road, Sheffield Lane Top.

She said the man grabbed her from behind between the legs and made a ‘sexual grunting noise’.

“I shouted at him ‘what do you think you’re doing’.”

The man fled and she picked Scuka out at an identification procedure.

Mr Smith said that on April 14, 2010, a 23-year-old woman was attacked by a ‘jogger’ as she walked alongside the River Don near Meadowhall.

It is alleged Scuka told her he would give her £30 for sex, then grabbed her and pushed her into trees.

The woman told the jury: “I thought I wouldn’t be able to escape because he was quite strong.”

But she managed to break free and fled.

Two hours later, Scuka allegedly struck again.

His third victim was dragged to the ground and raped in playing fields where she was walking her dogs.

Mr Smith said Scuka knocked her to the ground, pulled at her clothes then offered her £30 for sex and slapped her across the face.

He pulled off her boots and clothes and raped her while threatening her with a penknife. The attack stopped when one of her dogs intervened and she escaped. Samples taken from the victim contained Scuka’s DNA.

In the final attack in May 2011. A student, in her 20s was attacked in Firth Park.

Mr Smith said she was grabbed from behind, pushed to the ground and her attacker tried to rip off her coat. She managed to fight him off and fled to her boyfriend’s house, where she raised the alarm.

Scuka was arrested half- a-mile away, near his home in Hinde Street, Grimesthorpe. Fibres from a top he wore were on the victim’s coat.

Scuka denies three counts of sexual assault, one of rape and an alternative charge of attempted rape.

The trial continues.