Football tribute to tragic Bethany, 14

Much loved: Sheffield schoolgirl Bethany Adcock.
Much loved: Sheffield schoolgirl Bethany Adcock.
0
Have your say

A FOOTBALL match played tomorrow will be dedicated to a 14-year-old Sheffield girl who died after inhaling fumes from an aerosol can.

Bethany Adcock, aged 14, from Greenhill, collapsed at home and died a short time later after sniffing the gas.

The Year 10 pupil at Meadowhead School played football for Sheffield United Community Ladies FC under-14s.

The club has arranged for a game tomorrow in Chesterfield to be dedicated to the youngster with a tribute planned before the game.

Health chiefs today issued a warning about the dangers of inhaling aerosol fumes after the tragedy.

Medics were unable to revive Bethany and she was pronounced dead at Sheffield Children’s Hospital.

Dr Richard Oliver, Sheffield GP and joint clinical director of NHS Sheffield, said: “Solvent abuse can cause as many deaths as ecstasy.

“We hear of people inhaling solvents because it can produce the feelings of alcohol intoxication but the changes can come on more rapidly and can cause heart rhythm changes which can be fatal.

“From a health perspective we would urge people not to do this and to help change your behaviour we would advise you to book an appointment with your local GP.”

Friends yesterday gathered together to release Chinese lanterns into the sky in memory of the tragic teenager.

Tributes to the youngster are still being left on a Facebook site set up by friends.

Ashleigh said: “I and many others will miss you dearly. You were a lovely, amazing, beautiful, funny girl and will always be in our hearts. You will never be forgotten. Sleep tight precious angel.”

Olivia said ‘everyone has been crying’ since news of Bethany’s death broke.

Staff at Meadowhead School are making counsellors available for pupils.

South Yorkshire Police were alerted to the death but said it is not being treated as suspicious. An inquest will be held into the tragedy.