Football referee’s fury as headbutt attack thug is let off with a caution

Football referee Peter Suter who was assaulted by a player  during a game in the Keepmoat Stadium six a side league competition
Football referee Peter Suter who was assaulted by a player during a game in the Keepmoat Stadium six a side league competition
0
Have your say

A FOOTBALL referee is furious after police told him a player who attacked him following a game in South Yorkshire will not be prosecuted.

The player’s team has now been thrown out of the league in which the incident happened by bosses at the Keepmoat Stadium in Doncaster, where the competition is played.

But match official Peter Suter, who said he was headbutted from behind after a game in which he had sent off two players, has been informed by police his attacker will receive only a caution for the assault.

He said he believes the punishment is too lenient and sends the wrong message to sportsmen.

The caution follows an attack which left Mr Suter, aged 53, with swelling and bruising to his face. The incident happened after he had finished a game in a six-a-side league.

Mr Suter is angry the man who attacked him will not have to go to court for what he did.

He told The Star: “I got a phone call from the police and they told me he had been given a caution. They told me he was going to get done for actually bodily harm, but he has just got a caution.

“The officer said it means I won’t have to go to court, but I told him I wanted to go to.

“I was expecting it to go to court. I’ve read court reports where people have had at least community service or been ordered to pay compensation for this sort of thing. I feel the man who did this has got nothing really.

“I think it stinks. I’m thinking of writing to the Chief Superintendent about it.”

Mr Suter, a bus driver from Rossington, was injured after refereeing a Monday evening game.

A spokesman for the Keepmoat stadium said: “The team has been removed from the league and the police arrested the culprit.

“This sends out a signal that the Keepmoat Stadium will not tolerate any violence towards staff or other customers.”

Mr Suter had sent off two players in one game when he was struck. He went to hospital for a check-up after the incident, and had to miss the next day at work.

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Police said: “A 20-year-old man was arrested in connection with this incident. He fully admitted it to police and showed remorse for his actions.

“He was given a caution by police as this was his first offence.”