Fire chiefs issue safety advice after man is overcome by smoke in Barnsley flat

Firefighters rescued a man from a flat fire in Barnsley
Firefighters rescued a man from a flat fire in Barnsley
0
Have your say

Fire chiefs have issued safety advice around smoking after a man had to be rescued from his burning flat.

The man, thought to be in his 20s or 30s, dialled 999 after discovering a fire in his lounge.

When firefighters arrived at the property above a shop on Barnsley Road, Cudworth, they searched the house and found the occupant overcome by smoke.

They led him outdoors to safety were he was given first aid before being taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

It is believed the fire was started because of smoking materials.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: “Although the fire itself was quite small, the man was very lucky, this incident could have been a lot worse.

“Every three days someone dies from a fire caused by a cigarette.

“Never smoke in bed, don’t smoke in a soft chair or sofa if you think you may fall asleep, take extra care when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs or if you’ve been drinking alcohol.

“Use a proper ashtray that can’t tip over and is made of a material that won’t burn. Don’t leave a lit cigarette, cigar, or pipe lying around

“Stub cigarettes out properly and always dispose of them carefully. Make sure smoking materials are cold before emptying ashtrays - preferably wet them before throwing them into a bin.

“Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.”

On the same night South Yorkshire firefighters dealt with a blaze started deliberately on a playing field off Station Road, Wombwell, Barnsley.

Police were informed of the incident.

Some rubbish was also set alight off the Jordanthorpe Parkway, Jordanthorpe, Sheffield and some bushes were found burning in Rotherham Valley Country Park, Rotherham.

A shed was also set alight in an arson attack on Tune Street, Barnsley.

Witnesses to any of the arson attacks or anyone with information should call police on 101.