A surgical instruments factory in Sheffield has been damaged in a fire which broke out in an acid bath overnight.
The blaze was discovered at Symmetry Medical, on Beulah Road, Owlerton, at around 11pm last night and took responding officers three hours to tackle.
A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman, who also said the cause of the blaze is believed to be accidental, told The Star: “The on-duty security guard picked the blaze up on CCTV late last night and called 999. We attended and discovered one of the acid parts on fire, which are kept permanently heated to sterilise instruments made on site.
“It took seven pumps to put the fire out and, luckily, we were able to stop the entire building getting involved.”
Fire officers are due to attend this morning to continue their investigation. Meanwhile the area will remain cordoned off.
This is not the first time Symmetry Medical has been struck by fire. A similar blaze broke out at the factory last September, leaving an acid bath building destroyed and the roof collapsed.