Fire at National Trust property

0
Have your say

A HISTORIC Peak District cottage was badly damaged by a fire which is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Firefighters from Hathersage and Low Edges, attended the fire at a 200 year-old National Trust owned cottage in Grindleford at 3.15pm on Monday. It is believed an electrical fault caused the fire.

The blaze caused serious damage to the bedroom but the presence of smoke alarms gave early warning to the five occupants of the cottage and their pets who escaped unhurt.

Hathersage station manager Gary Platts said: “Had it not been for hard-wired smoke alarms, we could have been looking at a more serious fire.”