Fears over future of green waste service

0
Have your say

HOUSEHOLDS in Sheffield may have had their last green bin and green sack garden waste collections – after the city’s council announced no further rounds are planned for the current financial year.

Funding for the service is set to be axed from next year’s budget to save £1.5 million as part of £57 million cuts being made by Sheffield Council.

There will be no collection before the end of the current financial year in March, despite some households’ bins and sacks being full already.

Peter Sides, of Rodney Hill Allotments, Loxley, said: “It doesn’t seem right for the council to suddenly not do any more collections.

“At least having a final collection would be a good idea.”

Mr Sides called on the council to consider alternatives to the collections, such as allowing allotment societies to receive garden waste from nearby residents.

He said: “We could open the gates for, say, a couple of hours on a Saturday and allow people to deposit their garden waste with us for compost.

“Other allotments around the city could also do it and it could provide households with an alternative.”

Coun Ian Auckland, Liberal Democrat shadow cabinet member for environment, said: “Labour ceasing the recycling service is bad enough, but to find out collected waste will simply be abandoned adds insult to injury.

“We don’t believe the service should be withdrawn.”

However, Coun Leigh Bramall, cabinet member for environment, said: “The decision to scrap the green waste collection service over winter was taken by the Liberal Democrats themselves last year.

“The fact there are no garden waste collections planned for the rest of the financial year is the direct result of their decision, so I find their comments unbelievable.

“No final decision has yet been made on the future of the service, although the cabinet has indicated it is minded to cease it due to severe pressure on the council’s budget following Government cuts.

“If the council does decide to cease the service, we are hopeful another provider would come forward with a charged-for service for residents who wish to continue receiving a collection.”