A faulty electrical charger is the most ‘probable’ cause of a house fire which claimed the lives of five members of the same Sheffield family, an investigation has revealed.
Police and fire investigators have spent two weeks examining the charred remains of the family home on Wake Road, Nether Edge, and revealed the results of their probe yesterday – ruling out foul play.
They believe a faulty charger sparked the fire, but are unable to say what exactly the device was.
Shabina Begum, aged 53, her daughter Anum Parwaiz, 20, and her three grandchildren – Adyan Parwaiz Kayani, nine, Amaan, seven, and nine-week-old Minahil – all perished in the blaze.
A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: “Following a joint investigation, South Yorkshire Police and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service have found the most probable cause of the fatal house fire in Wake Road was an electrical fault involving a faulty charging device.
“However, the investigation continues on behalf of the coroner, and a full inquest into the deaths of the three children and two women will take place at a future date.”
A safety warning has now been issued by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service in the wake of the blaze, urging people to only buy branded chargers.
A spokesman said: “Don’t buy cheap, unbranded chargers and make sure chargers are compatible with the device you are using.
“Don’t leave things to charge overnight or beyond the recommended charging time.
“Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and keep electrical items away from flammable materials when charging.
“Don’t overload sockets – long, strip adaptors are safest, but can only take a total of 13 amps.”
Flames spread through the terraced property in the early hours of Monday, April 28, trapping the family inside.
Shabina, praised by her heartbroken family for her ‘selfless heroism’, escaped the inferno but went back inside to try to rescue her student daughter and young grandchildren.
More than 2,000 mourners from across the country gathered at the Madina Mosque in Heeley last week for the funeral – one of the biggest ever held in the city.