Family’s Goa holiday hell

0
Have your say

A FAMILY of three from South Yorkshire fell ill with vomiting and diarrhoea on holiday at an Indian resort.

Joiner Lee Shaw, aged 41, his wife Nicolette, 47, and their 15-year-old son Billy were disgusted by the state of their accommodation at the Paradise Village Beach Resort in Calangute, Goa.

Lee, from Kiveton, near Sheffield, said: “Our holiday was a complete disaster. We had been looking forward so much to getting away for a few weeks.

“As a busy family it was a rare opportunity to spend precious time together, but conditions were so poor and we were so ill that it didn’t feel like we had a break at all.

“Our bathroom and fridge were covered in mould, the mattresses were dirty, and the bedding was ripped and covered in stains.

“Things were even worse outside. We were told by the pool attendant that there had been faeces in the swimming pool, and that the water had not been changed ‘for as long as he could remember’.”

All three fell ill with gastric illness, suffering diarrhoea and vomiting.

Law firm Irwin Mitchell has demanded answers from tour operator Thomas Cook on the family’s behalf.

Solicitor Elizabeth Tetzner said: “Tour operators have a duty to ensure their hotels provide a basic level of health and safety to guests and these holidaymakers have been badly let down.

“We have also received complaints from another three families this year whose holidays have been ruined as a result of members of the party falling ill during their stay at the hotel.”

A Thomas Cook spokesperson said: “It is always disappointing for anyone to be unwell whilst they are on holiday, and we always take any reports of illness from our customers seriously.

“We are currently undertaking a review of the Shaws’ case and are waiting to hear from their solicitors.”