Family of Tommy Ward fear pensioner’s attackers may never face justice

Tommy Ward

Tommy Ward

0
Have your say

The family of battered South Yorkshire pensioner Tommy Ward fear his attackers may never face justice.

Mr Ward, 80, was savagely assaulted in his home on Salisbury Road, Maltby, last October, with a safety deposit box containing his £30,000 life savings stolen.

Daughter Jackie Perry and granddaughter Jay Perry at the 50 day anniversary press conference appeal for Tommy Ward, on Salisbury Road, Maltby in November. Picture: Andrew Roe

Daughter Jackie Perry and granddaughter Jay Perry at the 50 day anniversary press conference appeal for Tommy Ward, on Salisbury Road, Maltby in November. Picture: Andrew Roe

Four people have been arrested over the incident but no-one has yet been charged.

Mr Ward, a former miner, spent three months in hospital following the attack with a ‘significant’ brain injury, had to have his jaw rebuilt with steel plates and a finger amputated due to the damage it had suffered in the beating.

He is now being looked after in a care home.

His family have renewed their appeal for information about the attack.

Daughter Jackie Perry, 52, told the Sunday People: “It’s maddening to think the people who did this are walking the streets.

“They could be stood next to me, in the chip shop or at the supermarket, and I wouldn’t have a clue.

“I feel like they are are laughing at us – like they think they’ve got away with it.”

She added: “These people took dad’s life away. If only he could speak and tell us who did it. I’m convinced he knew them.”

Jackie asked anyone with information to contact the police.

She said: “Please find it in your heart to end our torment. Help us find who did this to my dad.”

Two 19-year-old men were originally arrested by police on suspicion of attempted murder and burglary and given bail as inquiries continue.

Earlier this month, a third man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and aggravated burglary, with a teenage boy arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods.

Detective Inspector Richard Partridge from the Force Crime Unit said earlier this month: “This remains an incredibly active investigation and our officers continue to piece together what happened to Mr Ward in October last year.

“I’d like to issue a further appeal for information following the arrest of these two people, to encourage anyone living locally who hasn’t yet come forward to speak to police.

“The public’s assistance in this inquiry so far has been very helpful and we’re very grateful to everyone who has provided information or offered their assistance as we investigate this brutal and shocking crime.

“We think that there are still people out there with information that could prove crucial and I’d urge those individuals to come forward. You can provide information in confidence or call Crimestoppers anonymously, if you aren’t comfortable speaking directly to us.”

Anyone with information should call 101 or email enquiries@southyorks.pnn.police.uk, quoting incident number 408 of 1 October 2015.

Crimestoppers can be reached on 0800 555 111.

Back to the top of the page