Family flees after smoke fills Doncaster house

0
Have your say

A FAMILY escaped through thick smoke from a house fire in Rossington, Doncaster, early yesterday.

Smoke rising from the kitchen of the mid-terraced property in Norman Crescent woke a couple in their 40s and their teenage daughter just after 2am.

They managed to get down the stairs and out of the house, with the father closing the kitchen door on the way out to prevent further damage to the upstairs and other rooms.

Fire crews from Doncaster and Edlington stations gave the uninjured occupants oxygen before paramedics arrived, but they did not require hospital treatment.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the incident was caused by a pan being left on the cooker which produced more smoke than fire, and was accidental.

There was no smoke alarm in the house, the spokesman added.

n A Ford Escort reported on fire in Eland Road, Denaby, is being treated as suspicious.