Ex-chief superintendent denies involvement in ‘deliberate plan’ to blame fans for Hillsborough disaster

Hillsborough disaster
Hillsborough disaster
0
Have your say

A former chief superintendent has denied being involved in a ‘deliberate plan’ to blame Liverpool fans for the Hillsborough disaster.

Terry Wain angrily denied allegations he was involved in a strategy to blame ‘drunken, ticketless Liverpool fans’ and said a former colleague who had suggested he had been was an ‘idiot’.

Last month, former inspector Clive Davis told new inquests into the deaths of 96 supporters about a briefing Mr Wain allegedly gave to CID officers two days after the disaster on April 15, 1989.

Mr Davis said: “His words were, and I can almost remember them verbatim, that ‘we were going to put the blame for this disaster where it belongs - on the drunken, ticketless Liverpool fans’.”

He said Mr Wain told the meeting at police HQ in Sheffield that officers should look for discarded cans of beer along the M62 and should also speak to pub landlords about the behaviour of Liverpool fans on the day of the FA Cup semi-final.

But giving evidence to the inquests, Mr Wain denied all the claims and said he did not become involved in any Hillsborough investigation until April 24.

Mr Wain said: “I feel angry. Thirty-two of years unblemished character and an idiot like that comes and destroys it.”

The jury heard that Mr Wain was tasked with overseeing South Yorkshire Police’s response to the disaster for the public inquiry carried out by Lord Justice Taylor.

Counsel to the inquests Jonathan Hough QC said the final report had contained ‘unusually graphic and disobliging comments’ about Liverpool fans, claiming some had behaved ‘like animals’.

Mr Hough added: “What the report does not include is many references to loss of control by senior officers or many comments critical of senior officers.”

Mr Wain said the report includes what was in officers’ statements and there was not a ‘conscious decision’ to exclude criticism of senior officers. Peter Wilcock, representing 75 of the victims’ families, said it appeared there had been a ‘deliberate plan of action’ to blame the supporters.

Mr Wain said: “I absolutely refute that. All I did was to reflect what was in the statements, nothing more.”