Rotherham’s last surviving Westgate pub has been given a new lease of life after real ale enthusiasts stepped in to secure its future.
Brothers Mick and Kevin Warburton, both co-directors of Rotherham’s Chantry Brewery, along with close friend Paul Vernon - one of the founder members of Rotherham’s CAMRA branch - are hoping to use their knowledge to transform The Prince of Wales Feathers into a real ale haven.
The pub reopens as The New York Tavern.
Since purchasing the pub, the trio have overseen an extensive internal refurbishment of the premises.
To celebrate the opening of the pub, Mick is hoping to trace previous landlords and their relatives from the original New York Tavern and The Prince of Wales Feathers.
He would like anyone with photographs of the pub to come forward, allowing a picture display to be created inside the pub.
The original New York Tavern was built in 1856, the same year as The Prince of Wales Feathers, and poured its last pint in 1970 when the building was purchased by Rotherham Council and demolished to make way for Centenary Way.
■ Visit the pub’s facebook page facebook.com/NewYorkTavern.