Electrical paint stripper starts Sheffield house inferno

editorial image
0
Have your say

AN ELDERLY woman and her decorator escaped unhurt when fire ripped through the roof of a Sheffield home.

Firefighters were called to the property in Milden Road, Middlewood, after electrical paint-removing equipment overheated and caught alight.

A fire service spokeswoman said the woman and decorator got out unharmed and next door neighbours were evacuated after the roof caught fire.

She said: “An elderly resident who lived at the property was having some decorating done. The decorator was stripping the paint from the facias and his equipment overheated, setting fire to the roof area.

“He managed to get down and help the lady to safety before alerting the fire service.”

Crews from Elm Lane, Rivelin and Central stations attended at 3.45pm on Wednesday and an aerial ladder platform was used to douse the flames from above.

Firefighters spent several hours damping down and were there until around 9pm.

Back to the top of the page