Elderly woman rescued from burning Sheffield home after leaving pan on

Fraser Road, Woodseats. Picture: Google

Fraser Road, Woodseats. Picture: Google

0
Have your say

An elderly woman was rescued from her burning Sheffield home last night after a fire ripped through her kitchen.

Firefighters said the 69-year-old had left a pan on at her home in Fraser Road, Woodseats, at about 7pm.

She contacted a carer through a personalised alarm system who attended and helped her out of the terraced house.

Three fire engines from Sheffield Central and Lowedges fire stations arrived at the scene and put the blaze out, which had caused extensive smoke damage to the property.

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene.

Shaun Dodson, watch manager at Lowedges Fire Station, said the resident had a lucky escape.

He added: "It was fortunate that she had a personalised alarm system otherwise this could have been a lot worse.

"It just shows how vulnerable our elderly people are and how vital these alarm systems are.

"She was treated at the scene but I don't believe she was taken to hospital."

He added: "It is very important to make sure you never leave cooking unattended as it can cause fires, as was the case here. I would also urge people to install smoke alarms."

Back to the top of the page