Warning for Sheffield students over carbon monoxide

News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
0
Have your say

Students starting university in Sheffield are being warned about the dangers of ‘silent killer’ carbon monoxide poisoning tomorrow.

Staff from National Grid will be visiting Fresher’s Week at the University of Sheffield on Wednesday to provide advice to students.

Every year around 50 people die in the UK from carbon monoxide poisoning, a further 200 are hospitalised and 4,000 visit hospital accident and emergency departments with the symptoms of poisoning. Many of them are students.

National Grid’s attendance at Fresher’s Weeks across the country has been organised by student Abigail Basham who has been with the company on a business placement.

Abigail said: “Remember, you can’t see or smell carbon monoxide so if you’re even slightly worried that you may have CO poisoning, move into the fresh air immediately and call the National Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999. If the symptoms are severe or if someone has collapsed or is unconscious, call 999 or 112 immediately.

“Since it’s hard to tell if carbon monoxide is present in a house or flat – it’s often called the silent killer – buying a CO detector is a very good idea. They last about 10 years, they’re easy to take with you if you move home and they cost no more than £20.”

Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, eventually leading to collapse and loss of consciousness.

Because they often live in rented accommodation where the heating and cooking equipment may be old and may have been misused, students are seen as being particularly at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

For more information, visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk and www.nationalgrid.com.