Scores of pupils were evacuated from their school bus when it caught fire on their way home after lessons.
Dozens of youngsters from Ridgewood School were escorted to safety when the engine of the double-decker appeared to set alight as the bus was travelling along Spring Lane in Sprotbrough on Monday, at about 3.50pm.
Eyewitness David Booth, who captured the drama on camera, said: “The children all got off safely and the teachers were looking after them in a field.
“The fire brigade did an excellent job – many of the children were panicked and in tears.”
The lime green double decker was travelling through open countryside when the drama unfolded.
Fire engines turned up because the back of the bus was damaged after the engine appeared to overheat.
Officers made the vehicle safe and extinguished the flames before reopening the road.
South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue tweeted: “We’ve just put out a fire involving a school bus on Spring Lane, Sprotborough.
“All children were safely evacuated onto a field.”
Another witness, Tony Greenall tweeted: “Fire on a school bus in Sprotbrough, happily nobody hurt.”