Fire chiefs have warned residents could have been killed after a fireworks retailer was found to be illegally storing explosives.
Edward Ackroyd, aged 50, of Markham Road, Edlington, was given an eight-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, after pleading guilty to breaches of the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulation 2005 and the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court.
Technical fire safety manager Terry Guthrie said: “Fireworks can pose a very real danger when stored illegally.
“It is vitally important that fireworks are only stored legally in licensed storage facilities.
“Failure to store fireworks safely and within the clearly defined permitted weight limits could place those who live and work in that area at risk of serious injury or, on rare occasions, death in the event of a fire.”
Ackroyd has held a valid licence to store and sell fireworks at Roman Party Shop, Balby Road, Balby, for more than 12 years. But he was found to be illegally storing fireworks at unlicensed premises at Sandford Road, Balby, Doncaster, in October 2013.
Ackroyd was also ordered to pay £3,900 costs and complete 200 hours of community service.
South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue has revoked his licence to store fireworks and has welcomed the successful prosecution.
Mr Guthrie added: “This case clearly demonstrates that, as the Fireworks Licensing Authority, we are committed to enforcing the regulations to help ensure the safety of residents and the emergency services personnel living and working in South Yorkshire.”