Doncaster fire rescue neighbour hailed a hero

Kenny Jollens on the staircase form where he spotted the fire
Kenny Jollens on the staircase form where he spotted the fire
0
Have your say

A PENSIONER was fighting for life last night after a dramatic rescue from his burning home.

Hero neighbour Kenny Jollens vaulted over a garden gate and fought through a blazing kitchen to pull 65-year-old Brian Stollery to safety.

Kenny suffered burns to his hand during the rescue at the semi-detached house in Doncaster.

Mr Stollery’s son Martin, who lives next door, described his father’s condition as ‘critically ill’.

But he praised the bravery of 41-year-old Kenny, as did South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Not only did he save Mr Stollery from being possibly fatally overcome by smoke but he used his own fire extinguisher to put most of the flames out as fire crews arrived.

Kenny and his partner, Jillian Robinson, 39, live in a flat on Askern Road in Bentley which overlooks the rear of Rosedale Road and he was standing on the external staircase when he noticed smoke.

“At first I thought it was a garden fire but when I looked again I could see it was too close to the house so I went straight round,” he said.

“I rang the fire brigade on the way and they said it hadn’t been reported yet so I thought I might be the first one there, and then a chap up the road said he thought there was an elderly gentleman inside.

“I belted on the front door but got no response, so I jumped over the side gate and went straight in the back door, which was unlocked.

“He was laid on the kitchen floor where I think he’d collapsed, and the cooker and cupboards were on fire. There seemed to be flames everywhere and he was semi-conscious. I just grabbed him under the arms and pulled him out.”

Kenny added: “I got praised and told off by the firefighters for running into a burning house! But it was just instinct.

“I’ve no idea how I burned my hand, maybe I touched some burning furniture. I felt my back hurting more because I injured it six years ago when I fell off a roof.

“But it’s worth it if I’ve saved a life.”

Martin Stollery said: “Dad has lived on his own since my mum died. The man who went in has done a brilliant job.”

Firefighters said the blaze is believed to have started in a chip pan on Thursday evening. A service spokesman said: “This man’s actions were extremely brave.”