‘Despicable’ driver ploughs into bus queue in Sheffield

Emergency services on Barnsley Road, outside Northern General Hospital, after seven people were injured when a car plunged into a bus stop.
Emergency services on Barnsley Road, outside Northern General Hospital, after seven people were injured when a car plunged into a bus stop.
Have your say

A ‘DESPICABLE’ driver ploughed a BMW into a queue of people waiting for a bus in Sheffield, and then tried to run from the scene.

Eight people were injured in the hit-and-run after the 22-year-old’s luxury car careered onto the wrong side of Barnsley Road, Fir Vale, and mounted the pavement.

The silver BMW 3 series hit a lamppost before smashing into the bus stop opposite the Northern General Hospital.

Police said the driver then ignored the cries of the eight people lying injured in the road - four of them seriously hurt - and fled the scene.

He was later caught and arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and failing to stop.

But police are still searching for a passenger who they believe was in the car, and are appealing for witnesses to come forward urgently.

Inspector Geoff Young, in charge of Sheffield’s collision investigation unit, said: “It is such a despicable thing to see people lying in the road and run away.

“He gave no thought to any one of those injured people.”

Four of those hurt - a 23-year-old woman, and three men aged 21, 23 and 45 - suffered serious injuries including a fractured pelvis, shoulder and foot.

At least two of them will need surgery, one ‘a major operation’, said police.

The four others - a 20-year-old man, and three women aged 24, 38 and 58 - were treated for minor injuries.

Vicar of Fir Vale, Rev Louise Collins, whose church St Cuthbert’s is only yards from the bus stop, said the local community is in a state of ‘shock’.

“It is a very busy bus stop which residents in this area and workers at the hospital use every day to get into town,” she said.

“Standing at the bus queue you do not expect something like that to happen.”

Rev Collins added: “There’s a degree of shock about what has happened and people need some reassurance.”

Passers-by and residents living near the site of the crash at the junction with Horndean Road described how the emergency operation unfolded.

Steve Garner, who had just visited his father-in-law at the Northern General Hospital, said: “There was a damaged, smoking BMW car across the road and the bus stop was badly damaged.

“It was an unreal scene. People were sitting and lying around.”

An 83-year-old woman who lives on Barnsley Road said: “I heard a loud a bang at about 8pm. There were five ambulances and the road was shut off and the police were stopping anybody from walking past.

“Two people were being taken away on stretchers.”

Bank manager Ali Carlito, 24, also of Barnsley Road, said: “There were five or six ambulances there for about six hours. They left about 1am.

“I spoke to a policeman who told me a driver had tried to do a runner but they caught him.”

n Anyone who witnessed the crash, or the car being driven before the collision on Monday evening, should call police on 101.